Sunday, January 8, 2012

Weekly Goals (Jan 8-14)

I think most people have trouble working towards long term goals because they don't know how to take the next step towards their goals.  That's why I think it's important to break down goals to a more imaginable timeframe.  I like weekly goals because it allows enough time for flexibility (unknowns come up, and we need to adjust) while still being a coherent and measurable chunk of time (10 days for instance doesn't have the same sense of finality).  If I pick a longer amount of time, like a month, I find that the end date is far enough away that it's easy to procrastinate.  I find it much harder to ignore the impending deadline of the coming weekend.


My goals are broken down into the next step for goals in various categories:
  • Foreign Language:
    • Read short stories for French
    • Finish exercises in chapter 7 of French book
    • Watch 40 minutes of French TV
  • Financial Independence
    • Meal plan for the week
    • Grocery shop
    • Stay within weekly budget
  • The PhD
    • Finish mini-course
    • Finish draft of paper
    • Outline slides
  • General Life
    • Exercise (swim x1, run x1, climb x2, hike x1)
    • Deep clean the bathroom
    • Take recycling to the recycling center

No comments:

Post a Comment